Not only does Squirrel Girl #32 have a shiny new artist in the form of the wonderful Derek Charm. It also contains this pitch perfect throwback to Civil War #2! Where instead of Spider-Man unmasking himself to the world we see Doreen revealing her secret identity to Kraven the Hunter!
I appreciate a good Spidey reference especially when it ties-in with one of his rogues!
Every week I throw my money into the bottomless pit that is regular comic book reading.
Here is what I will be entertaining myself with this week along with snippets of my feelings towards said books prior to reading them:
- Action Comics #49
- The saga of powerless Superman continues!
- This crossover of sorts between the various Superman books is surprisingly entertaining and is paying off on the last year’s worth of stories.
- Batgirl #48
- Bright, colourful and always fun to read.
- Batman & Robin Eternal #18
- The answers are slowly coming! Some a good, some are a bit…boring.
- Detective Comics #49
- Robo-Batman minus the Robo equals some solid detective work from Jim.
- Amazing Spider-Man #7
- I love Dan Slott’s Spider-Man but so far this has felt like it is too big of a departure from classic Spidey for me.
- It is like Peter Parker is trying a bit too hard to be Tony Stark.
- Captain America: Sam Wilson #6
- This book is crazy in a good way.
- It is full of pulpy ideas and has great moments for both character and story.
- Invincible Iron Man #6
- Loving Bendis’ take on Iron Man, making him feel on the cutting edge again.
- It will be interesting to see the contrast between Mike Deodato Jr. art for this issue and David Marquez’s from the first arc.
- Nova #6
- I love this book.
- It is where the fun is at!
- Star Wars: Obi-Wan & Anakin
- Issue one introduced us to an old fashioned adventure story that explores the Post Episode I Obi-Wan/Anakin dynamic.
- I’m interested to see how it plays out.
- + Steampunk airships in Star Wars!
- Spider-Man #1
- Miles Morales is finally getting his dues as a mainline Marvel Prime Universe character!
- Uncanny Avengers #5
- Its been a bit of a rocky start so far but I am willing to follow it for one or two more issues.
- Klaus #3
- It is the Secret Origin of Santa Claus!
- It is written by Grant Morrison!
- It is actually a good read!
- The Walking Dead #151
- After finishing another calm before the storm stage The Walking Dead is getting exciting again!
After it became apparent that DC’s Convergence is one of the most phoned in “events” in comic book history I became a bit apprehensive for the start of Secret Wars. Thankfully I should learn not to doubt the talent of Jonathan Hickman, Esad Ribic and Co. who have blown me away with the opening issue of Secret Wars.
Secret Wars is something builds on what has been happening with Marvel’s line of characters over the past few years. It is also an event that respects its readers and their knowledge of the Marvel Universe’s history. It is not just an excuse to throw character at each other to try and make drama. There is depth and complexity to the big explosions and endless fighting.
But first, a warning before we go any further: THERE BE SPOILERS AHEAD!
Marvel sure knows how to get everyone talking! This cover for the Free Comic Book Day issue of The All-New, All-Different Avengers is our first glimpse at the post Secret Wars Avengers line up. So far we have the soon to be unmasked new Thor (YAY!) and my favourite new hero of the past few years, Ms. Marvel/Kamala Khan (Double YAY!!) confirmed for the team. Then in an interesting move all the male characters are silhouetted to provoke speculation, finger pointing and mass hysteria amongst comic book fans.
So here is my take on who the remaining team members are.
Silk #1 – A confidant start so I’m on board for a few more issues at least.
In honour of Spider-Gwen #1 coming out today here is my terrible attempt at re-writing the lyrics to the Spider-Man theme for everyone’s new favourite heroine. Enjoy!
Does whatever a Spider-Man can.
Spins a web, any size,
Catches tropes just like flies!
Here comes the Spider-Gwen!
Is she strong?
She’ll kick your butt.
Can she fall off a bridge?
Just try to put her in a fridge.
There goes the Spider-Gwen!
In the chill of night,
At the sight of ignorance.
Like a streak of light,
She arrives to make a difference.
Friendly neighbourhood Spider-Gwen!
Wealth and fame,
Dismantling the Patriarchy is her reward.
To her, life is a great big bang up.
Wherever there’s a hang up.
You’ll find the Spider-Gwen!
Not to shabby I think 😉
Amazing Spider-Man #14 – Naked Spider-Ham. Spider-Verse what a long, strange trip it has been!
Amazing Spider-Man #13 – Spider-Verse has been crazy and fun to read. I’m sad that it is going to be over so quickly!
Spider-Verse #2 – Good to see the Marvel Vs Capcom Spidey getting some love!
Sometimes I think of Dan Slott and I picture a Saturday Morning Cartoon villain laughing manically as he plays with the heroes of the show. Except Dan is a happy man with a beard who loves Spider-Man so whenever he does stuff like this I have a little bit of hope.
Except this time the tease is grouped in with all the mysterious Summer 2015 images Marvel have been coming out with the past couple of weeks. All of which are showing alternate versions of big events and stories. Except now they have moved on to punching me in the emotional gut. Especially when it is accompanied with tweets from Dan Slott like this: