ComiXology are getting on The Last Jedi hype starship and are running a huge sale on pretty much every Star Wars comic under the twin suns. Here’s some recommendations for people hungry for some more lightsabres, blasters and old Jedi Masters after seeing The Last Jedi.
The discount on all of the books is crazy cheap so it is worth having a browse of the full list and picking out a few things that take your interest.
Seeing as this point in the Star Wars story is still being written books in this corner of the galaxy are still hard to come by.
- Poe Dameron (Volume 1, Volume 2) – Chronicling Poe’s adventures with Black Squadron as they search the galaxy for clues to Luke Skywalker’s whereabouts in the run up to The Force Awakens. This series also informs a lot Poe’s characterisation and journey in The Last Jedi!
- Shattered Empire (Link) – Filling in some of the blanks between Return of the Jedi and The Force Awakens. From learning more about Poe Dameron’s parents to seeing Luke go out of his way to save a tree, this is a flawed but fun read.
- Captain Phasma (Link) – Want to know what happened to Captain Phasma after she was thrown in the trash compactor at the end of The Force Awakens? Mainly how she got away with nobody finding out that she was the one who disabled the shields on Star Killer Base? Then this is the book for you!
This is the main area that the Star Wars comics published by Marvel spend their time developing. In particular the main focus is filling in the gap between A New Hope and The Empire Strikes Back.
- Star Wars (Volume 1, Volume 2, Volume 3, Volume 4, Volume 5) – From seeing how the Millennium Falcon got in such a state of disrepair before The Empire Strikes Back, to how Luke continued his Jedi training without Obi-Wan’s guiding hand, to seeing the darker side of the Rebellion and even seeing Yoda fighting a mountain. each volume of the main Star Wars comic feels like movie in its own right.
- Darth Vader (Volume 1, Volume 2, Volume 3, Volume 4) – If you only buy one book or series listed here make it this one! Darth Vader is a great read that sees Vader assembling his own secret team and he fights to keep his place as the Emperor’s right hand. It also introduces some great new characters to the wider Star Wars lore in Doctor Aphra, 0-0-0 and BT-1.
- Vader Down (Link) – This was the first major crossover between the Star Wars and Darth Vader comics and tells the tale of the Rebellion seizing an oppotunity to take Vader out. Spoilers: It doesn’t go well!
- Princess Leia (Link) – This is a great book that shows the strength of Leia’s character as she tries to round up the last remaining people from the planet Alderaan after its destruction in A New Hope.
Regardless of your feelings on Episodes I-III there are still some great characters and stories to experience in Star Wars’ most controversial time period.
- Kanan (Volume 1, Volume 2) – Learn the origins of Star Wars Rebels, Kanan Jarrus how he survived Order 66 and went into hiding before joining the Rebellion.
Legends is all the series and stories that were fired out of the airlock when Disney took the reigns of the Star Wars license. These are no longer part of the official Star Wars canon but it doesn’t stop these from being worthwhile reads.
- Legacy (Epic Collection) – Set in the far future of a galaxy far, far away Legacy follows the story of a distant relative of Luke Skywalker doing his best to survive in a similar but very different Star Wars galaxy.
- The Star Wars (Link) – Based off an early draft of the original Star Wars script this is a completely different interpretation of the Star Wars setting and story.
- The Dark Empire Trilogy (Link) – This is a story I have a lot of love for because it was one of the first Star Wars comics I read as a kid. For the longest time I always viewed this as what the sequel to Return of the Jedi would be if it was ever made.